Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: TAKO RECIPES!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:15 pm 
HSD Member

OK HERE IS THE NEW COOKING QUESTION, HOW DO YOU COOK TAKO AND IF YOU COULD SHARE SOME OF YOUR RECIPES IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. I HAVE HAD TAKO KIMCHEE AND I LOVED IT IF ANY ONE HAS A GOOD RECIPE FOR IT THATWOULD BE AWESOME. THANKS BOOT SPEARO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:33 am 
HSD Member

Found this on a webpage, I jst cut and copied for you, enjoy...

By the way I think its very important to toenderize and make it soft, there are many ways to do from massaging it or hitting it with a dowel or putting in a washing machine :o..this part is key unless you like eating rubbery tako?

Tako Poke
(From "The Choy of Cooking -- Sam Choy's Island Cuisine," Mutual Publishing, 1996, $35)

1 pound tako (octopus)
1 ripe medium-size tomato, chopped
1 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil

1 Hawaiian red chile pepper, seeded and minced (or 1/2 teaspoon red chile pepper flakes)

To clean fresh octopus, turn head inside out and remove ink sac, innards and mouthparts; rinse. To tenderize fresh octopus, freeze, pound or lomi (massage).

To cook octopus, in a medium pot, bring enough water to cover octopus to a boil. Lower octopus into boiling water, return water to a rolling boil, then cook 2 or 3 minutes. Drain, plunge into cold water and slice into thin slices. In a bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Makes 8 servings, each 1/2 cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Korean-Style Tako Poke
(From "The Choy of Cooking")

2 pounds fresh ogo (edible seaweed)
1 pound tako (octopus)
1 Maui onion, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons bottled Korean kochu jang (hot chile paste), available in Asian markets and the Asian section of supermarkets
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced

Cut ogo in 2-inch lengths. Cook tako and slice. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Serve very cold at tailgate and backyard barbecues. Makes 6 servings, each 1/2 cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oki's Tahitian-Style Tako Poke
(By Curt Okimoto of Laie; entry in 1996 Sam Choy/ Aloha Festivals poke contest)

1 pound tako (octopus)
1/2 cup water
1 can (12 ounces) coconut milk
3 slices (each 1/4 inch thick) fresh ginger
2 cups cucumber, cut in about 5/16-inch dice
1/2 cup Maui onion, sliced
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/4 cup ogo, chopped
2 teaspoons kukui nut oil
1/2 tablespoon Hawaiian salt
1 teaspoon dried chile pepper flakes or to taste, optional

Bring tako, the 1/2 cup water, coconut milk and ginger to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until of desired firmness.

Discard coconut/ginger liquid. Slice tako into bite-size pieces and cool a few minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Makes 8 servings, each 1/2 cup.

For a more traditional poke: Omit coconut milk, and add 1 or 2 teaspoons sesame oil or to taste.

Soy Sauce Poke
Recipe By : The Electric Kitchen; Hawaiian Electric Co., Inc.

Serving Size : 6

Ingredient

1 pound ahi (yellowfin tuna) or aku (skipjack tuna) fillet
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup onion -- chopped
1/4 cup green onions -- chopped
1/2 cup limu -- (seaweed), chopped
1/2 teaspoon ginger root -- minced

2 Hawaiian red peppers -- seeded & chopped

Preparation Method:

Cut fish into 1/2-inch cubes. In a bowl , combine fish with remaining ingredients; mix well. Chill before serving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:57 pm 
HSD Member

Pounding tako is fun...not. The way i do it and seems to work best is to cut out the guts and the beak. Put some hawaiian salt in the beak area and pound. repeat till the legs curl up (it might be awhile, just so youll know.) After, boil em in water with a can of beer or a shot of whiskey or sake. you can also just freeze the tako and it should come out soft, but i think you gotta freeze for a while, maybe a month or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:36 pm 
HSD Member

We dont usually freeze for so long but it dosent hurt, but freezing for a couple days in enough. Then defrost and kneed with hawaiian salt. Cook and enjoy.
Shoots

Post subject: tako recipe
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:54 pm 

This is the basic way I learned to cook tako the soft style. After cleaning and freezing the tako, defrost fully. Use a large pot on the biggest burner and turn the heat on to high. After heating the pot for about 5 min., put tako in the pot and turn constantly for about 10 min. until it's own juices start to come out and fill the bottom. Yes the tako is going to pop from the water hitting the heated surface but that's ok. Keep turning the tako until the juices begin to dissapear, then cover and simmer for about 1 hr. to 1 hr. 15 min. or until soft. Let it cool then put in the refer before cutting in slices. You can use it in any recipe you desire. There is enough taste to eat it plain. So stop your pounding and put away your Hawaiian salt. This style was referred to me from a friend from Niihau. And one more thing, you might need to spray some PAM in the pot before cooking to make cleaning easier. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD EATING

Post subject: tako recipes!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:18 am 
after cleaning, cut 'm up and put it in a beer-batter, then deep-fry in hot oil for just 2-3 minutes.Or... simmer in a coconutmilk curry broth with other vegetables for a good hour...same with squid, conch, butterclams etc.cook it hot 'n fast or slow , long and spicy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:17 am 
HSD Member

I know this is an old topic, but this is how I cook tako. After removing the beak, guts, and eyes, rub down with hawaiian salt till all the slime comes off. Usually takes about two rubdowns. Rinse well. No need pound. Fill pot up with beer (use your skunky stuff, or junk that friends left behind at the last party). Throw tako in, bring to boil for about 5 minutes, then turn down to simmer and cover. Fresh tako may take longer. I had a 4 pounder simmering for about 2-3 hours but when it was done, soft like calamari. Kimchee sauce is sold in bottles at Marukai and other asian markets. I like the one made in Japan with the orange letters and white and green label. Cost about $20 for the large bottle. That stuff makes good kimchee tako, kimchee cucumber, and kimchee chicken. Throw in some chopped ogo (limu) and some sweet onions, chill in fridge, ready to grind.

Post subject: makin tako soft
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:31 pm 
HSD Member

lots of people lomi tako to make it soft with hawaiian salt but that is back breaking and tiring, but it does help keep the slime off....other tricks i have learned is to boil it for a long time like 1 hour and a half also to boil it using 7 up or sprite... no joke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:46 pm 
Freezing for a week or so then slow cooking the cleaned tako in beer (old or junk kind is okay) will usually result in tender tako. I put in the whole can (up to couple pounds) or just enough to partially cover the tako (if real big) then turn it over when the bottom side is bright red. If I can easily poke a chopstick through the tako head and legs, then I know it's done. If the tako is very big or very fresh then cooking time may be longer. Another thing I do is rinse the cooked tako with cold tap water while scrubbing any loose skin flakes off the tako before cutting it up for poki or sashimi style pupus.

Post subject: cook...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:39 pm 
HSD Member

sup divers...
this is the way of savoring the real taste of tako....while the tako is still turning colors take out the guts and beak (but save the ala's....the big purple sac in the head)....lomi the tako in a deep pot, I usually watch t.v. while i'm doing this...keep doing this till the tako legs are super curly(usually takes 1hr per pound) you know when it's done when you pop a piece in you mouth and the texture is crunchy...almost crispy...cut the legs up in thin slices...put alittle hawaiian salt...put inamona (roasted kukui nut, I like alot)...put some fresh hawaiian pepper, put alittle limu kohu, and last add the whole ala sac and mix it all together. If your doing only one tako the ala sac will only season about 4-5 legs, so you can cook the rest....chill for a while and serve....all you need is some poke, raw crab, fresh opihi, and a big bowl of poi....ahhhh...call the ambulance cause "BROKE DA MOUTH"....if you folks are daring, try this style.....alright

"anykine"
jonah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:54 pm 
HSD Member

Dried tako makes a tasty snack. Most people use a dry box. As mentioned by others, I freeze the tako and then lomi with Hawai`ian salt to take off the slime. After rinsing, taste the tako to see if there's enough salt. Add whatever seasoning you like. Cut individual legs and spread them out with the head in the box. Butterfly the thick part of the leg to speed up the dry process. Usually takes a couple of days to dry in the box. After it's dried, roast in the oven at about 350 for about 15 minutes. Cut up in small pieces so it's easier to chew. After its cut up in small pieces, I like to roast again for about 10 minutes. Some people like it moist and soft, some like it completely dried and hard. Since the tako is of varying thickness, you'll probably get to sample both in the same batch.

I use the oven to dry the tako, takes about 6 to 8 hours at 175 degrees.

Post subject: tako
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:26 am 
HSD Member

For good tako poke, boil your tako in junk beer like the brand you don't drink. When can poke the toothpick through easy should be done. Cut em up into small pieces. Mix in bowl with chopped tomatoes, green onions, and round onions like lomi salmon. Add oyster sauce and sesame oil to taste and trust me this buga going go real good with beer. Enjoy
Nalodiver

Post subject: Re: TAKO RECIPES!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
HSD Member

Did the Korean-Style Tako Poke the other night. Tried it first without the kochu jang because I didn't have any, but went out and got some. Either way is pretty good. :D . Didn't know the recipes was already posted on the forums. :oops: :oops:

I got the ogo from the ala wai. No tell no one. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:09 pm 
HSD Member

Mmmm Kimchee Tako Poke is gonna be good!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:51 pm 
HSD Member

whoa takin it back to the old posts...i almost told people to use the damn search function