Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: NENUE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:09 am 
HSD Member

What to do with these ugly stink buggahs?

Brah Nenue Poke:

Get two or three big ones, the bigger the better, more oily the meat

fillet em, preferably at the beach so you can wash off the flesh in the ocean. Try not to get the guts on the flesh. Cut off the skin and blood. Pat the flesh dry with paper towel. Chunk them into 1/2" cubes.

Place chunks in mixing bowl

Add Sesame seed oil, put on just enough so its lightly coated on the chunks (can also add some wasbi oil to give it some kick)

Hawaiian salt or Seasoned salt like "Ono Hawaiian Seasoning" to taste

Add dried Kui nuts (inamono)

Chili pepper flakes or powder, to taste

Chopped ogo or limu kohu

Optional (Onion choped real fine)

Mix em real good. Taste to see what seasoning need to added.

Best to leave in refrig for two days before eating, but can eat that day.

Goes good with cold beer! Speaking of beer, its time for another one

Post subject: nenue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:09 pm 
bra another good way is to slat and pepper and fry till turn crispy and right when it comes out put some garlic salt on top and your done.
i like it but its a personal prefrence.
O.M.E.R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:21 am 
Any other ways for prepare them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:37 pm 
You guys are missing something important. There is a way to gut the nenue without getting messy and it might apply to other fish too.

As soon as you can, you should take the guts out of the nenue. It is very easy. You just cut a one inch slit at the butt and grab the intestines with your fingers and just start carefully pulling them out until it breaks off at the stomach. It is very clean and easy and saves you from getting all stunk up. :P Now, when you fillet them, you don't get s**t all over everything. :shock:

Nenue makes a great beach snack when you are hungry. Gut them as said above and then just thow them over the grill (or even just on a fire or coals) until done. Their hard skin protects them and you can just peel the skin off when they are done. Peel the skin back and then scratch them up and add salt and soy sauce and whatever else you want. Then everyone diggs in and picks the meat from the bones.

I also make poke with them by filleting and cubing the meat, adding garlic, onion, green onion, limu, and choke soy sauce. I prefer it after it has had a day or two to soak up the shoyu. My friend tells me to add sesame oil but I never never got around to it yet.

Later.

Post subject: nenue poke
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:31 pm 
HSD Member

I heard this was the best way to eat nenue so I tried geno's nenue poke recipe above. I let all ingredients with fish sit in a bowl in my fridge for 1 day then I added a little mayo and some cubbed avocado and that fish/avo poke was the first to go on Superbowl Sunday.
It just goes to show that any fish prepared or cooked the right way can be really good.

Post subject: Nenue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:36 am 
HSD Member

You guys are definately on the right track with the nenue poke. I personally make Kinilau whenever i get nenue. Kinilau is basically the same as the poke recipe except add some homemade chili pepper water and squeeze a bunch of lemon on top and let the lemon cook it a little. Can add little bit shoyu too if you like. Let it sit in the frige for a few hours.

Post subject: Re: NENUE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:39 pm 
HSD Member

kinilau, eh? i'll have to try that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm 
HSD Member

pulehu w/ sum fina denny...meeeeeaaaann!!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
HSD Member

Nic Barca wrote:
You guys are missing something important. There is a way to gut the nenue without getting messy and it might apply to other fish too.

As soon as you can, you should take the guts out of the nenue. It is very easy. You just cut a one inch slit at the butt and grab the intestines with your fingers and just start carefully pulling them out until it breaks off at the stomach. It is very clean and easy and saves you from getting all stunk up. :P Now, when you fillet them, you don't get s**t all over everything. :shock:

Nenue makes a great beach snack when you are hungry. Gut them as said above and then just thow them over the grill (or even just on a fire or coals) until done. Their hard skin protects them and you can just peel the skin off when they are done. Peel the skin back and then scratch them up and add salt and soy sauce and whatever else you want. Then everyone diggs in and picks the meat from the bones.

I also make poke with them by filleting and cubing the meat, adding garlic, onion, green onion, limu, and choke soy sauce. I prefer it after it has had a day or two to soak up the shoyu. My friend tells me to add sesame oil but I never never got around to it yet.

Later.

I always thought nenue were very easy to clean the guts come out all one time for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:22 am 
HSD Member

just came across this post. kinda trippy to see 1 post again from the past....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 pm 
HSD Member

I tried nenue a few different ways but my fav was sashimi. Just dipped the meat in a little shoyo and wasabi. Just like that. I never expected it to be so good but really broke da mouth.