Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: menpachi, kole, and veke
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:03 pm 
HSD Member

what is a flaver-full way to cook menpachi and i also wanted to know one for kole.

This might sound kind of funny but has anyone ever eaten moana and noticed it has a funky flavor and tastes kind of fishy but not so much fishy... And does veke have a nice white meat with no unusual flavor...

Post subject: Re: menpachi, kole, and veke
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:32 am 
HSD Member

Make miso soup out of the menpachi and just fry up the kole. How are you cooking the moana? I steam mine and theres no fishy taste. Tastes just like weke.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:20 am 
HSD Member

Location: the glass is neither half full nor half empty -- it's twice as big as it needs to be
when you make the miso soup, you can put the menpachi in a (fine) strainer in hot water so you get the flavor, and no bones. then pick out the meat and throw in the soup. one of my dive partners cooks his menpachi like this.

you should shoot some aholehole, too. i like them better than menpachi and even kole...lots of meat, few bones, and tastes sooo good fried. one of my favorite fish. oh, aweoweo, too. sooooo damn good...

i'd eat aholehole and aweoweo over moana.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:34 am 
HSD Member

i agree with nakama. its all about the aholehole and aweoweo. you pick up a couple of these guys and its considered a great dive. not too exciting about shooting these but dinner will be great. i'd take pretty much anything over weke. tastes like mud to me. i'm sure part of the reason has to be that the only time i tried it, i got it from wailupe. but still, its been four years and i haven't eaten one since. mom likes kole but i think the meat is too mushy. i've made menpachi miso soup and its THE BEST. don't forget to throw in some green onions in at the end. it makes all the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:53 pm 
HSD Member

Location: the glass is neither half full nor half empty -- it's twice as big as it needs to be
AHHHH THE GREEN ONIONS!! yes, do not forget those. and be sure to say "BAM!" when you throw them in the pot. just don't do that when anyone is watching. they'll taste the difference, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:03 pm 
HSD Member

thanks ill make some miso soup and wipe the idea of shooting goats out of my head. i have only shot one aholehole but your right it does taste better. :shock:

...... For the miso soup do you just follow the directions on the miso container and throw in the menpachi meat after boiling it in the water that you make the soup from and add green onions. :oops:

Last edited by goat slamma on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:38 pm 
HSD Member

you know when you fry aholehole do you just salt and peppa or make some other kine stuff. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:39 am 
Global Moderator

I do just fresh ground black pepper and garlic salt. I posted a pic in the misc. section for you all to drool over. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:50 am 
HSD Member

very nice bio.... looks delicious.
goat- i just throw in some miso into the boiling water and keep adding till i'm satisfied with the way it tastes. if you want to take it up a notch, boil some somen and then eat the soup and menpachi with that. DAMN YOU GUYS! i'm hungry for some menpachi miso soup and aholehole now.

btw, the ONLY way i eat my fried fish is with lawry's garlic salt and whatever kind pepper. the garlic salt is the one with the green cap. NO CAN BEAT! then give it a dust of flour and fry um up to make them extra crispy. to me, aholehole is one of the best kept secrets. Tastes like one mini papio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:16 pm 
HSD Member

Ha ha...I agree...it DOES taste like a mini.............

And nice size aholehole doc!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 pm 
HSD Member

i actually never bothered shooting aholehole because i didn't know what they taste like. but now that you mention it i know where to go on the north shore that you can get um like 3 pounds. its always good to try new grounds thats what i did and look what i found :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:08 am 
HSD Member

whatever you do, don't eat the three pound aholehole! i think you are talking about nenue, and that definitely won't taste great if you just fry it up. i've heard it tastes worse than kala but who knows... maybe you'll like it. i'd say the BIGGEST that aholehole will get is about 3/4 lb but then again, the record is about 2 lbs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:04 pm 
HSD Member

Trust me they are aholehole cuz i know what nenue are and they smell like s- - T They are at least 3 pounds He He :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:26 pm 
HSD Member

cool goat slamma, shoot one of those 3 lb aholeholes and congrats on the new state record. see you in the next HSD mag!

member #2 of F.O.H.A.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
Hall of Fame Member

goat slamma wrote:
Trust me they are aholehole cuz i know what nenue are and they smell like s- - T They are at least 3 pounds He He :mrgreen:

Nenue makes the best poke! It's one of the only ways I'll eat nenue, but now, I think Ahi Poke is too plain after using this fish. Try it sometime and I'm sure you'll like it. Because of the fish's natural 'reef flavor', you don't have to put in so much ogo or limu. We served it at our World Ocean Dinner last year at the Maui Ocean Center and we had so many people telling us it was the best poke they'd ever eaten.