Hawaii Skin Diver The Breath of Freedivers

It is currently Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 10 hours

Post subject: Hard to find ingredients
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:11 am 
HSD Member

i was wondering where i could find good deals or quality ingredients for eating with the fish. for example Kukui nuts (Inamona) that aren't insanely expensive or where i can find fresh ogo or limu kohou. i don't like all the salt they put in the frozen kind. any help would be much appreciated. now if only i knew how to find some fish....

Post subject: Re: Hard to find ingredients
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 am 
HSD Member

Juss make your own ingreedaments get choke kukui trees around the island.You gotta find the dried ones that the skin fall off already get plenty take um home throw um in one bucket of water if float means no good inside or nomore much meat the ones that sink she good. Then roast um in the oven or pulehu kine what eva floats your boat and no more one set time really just crack one and check for how eva dark you like um.Most stores/fish markets that sell ready made kine to me is all half cooked its looks more like Mac nuts it should be more darker so when you add um to I'a Maka "Raw fish" ,Poke,Raw Squid,Ake"Raw liver" it blends in and no can see um juss get the flavor!!!!!!!!!!!! Broke da mouf!! :lol: sheesss talk about old school I juss gave you valubale info right thurr now no go and make a killing and sell um all ova da place ok. Da Limu is in the ocean juss go holo holo and you find um jus no get nuts wen you do or else da guys in da white truck goin steal um from you and have one pahty with all your Limu!!!!!!!haha :shock: . shoots den

oh and neva mind da pigeon talk its all good das how we are we not lolo haha...

Aloha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:01 pm 
HSD Member

ha! I'm so dumb. I was at Ko'olina yesterday 'cause my girl wanted to swim the lagoons, so i went, but when we were there i saw these trees with these little round green fruits or nuts on them. I looked at some and was wondering what they were. Well i just googled them and yeah, same thing. Thank you so much for the info. I only know of one use for Inamona so i won't go crazy selling it all over (3.99$ per pound). As for the Limu, i don't think i've ever seen any shore diving, but i'll keep my eyes open for some. got a 'yak now so..... one last thing, what's ake (i guess raw liver, but from what, or don't i want to know, just kidding) oh and the pigeon's okay, makes me have to say it out loud in my head kinda.
voices in my head?
again, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:47 pm 
HSD Member

Ko'olina eh I rememba one braddah I when pahty wit he had some limu kohu from dea? Idk if foreals but das what he said kind of funny for the west side to half something like that and nobody got it already maybe get dirty water runoff?or they rather buy um from da store?.I haven't really swimm there so don't know how it is but it had good smell and tasted pretty ono.Ake is a oldschool Hawaiian dish made with beef liver with some inamona,pa'a kai,chili peper,and huluhulu waena another type of limu you hardly see it anymore at luau's cause hardwork for make or not to much peeps eat um or nobody make um..Alohaz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:14 am 
HSD Member

Location: the glass is neither half full nor half empty -- it's twice as big as it needs to be
i know it as aki

my mom really loves it. you gotta wash out the liver with plenty water, but.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:49 am 
HSD Member

Yup das da one it's spelled Ake Hawaiian word for liver..yeah gotta flush um out good get all da blood out den cut um and mix ho bugga is ono!!!!!!!!!! :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:25 am 
HSD Member

im local but not hawaiian and my poor elementary school hawaiian lessons werent enough to learn a lot of the words....but what i do know is that there are look alikes for limu kohu and da kine limu that they put in GOOD kine poke (ie KTA puainako-personally the best ahi shoyu ive tasted, and the best produce in the state short of buying from the farms...hows that for a plug...just no raid the big island fish-conserve always) and the flavor may be different if its not the right one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 am 
HSD Member

Location: the glass is neither half full nor half empty -- it's twice as big as it needs to be
ho ho ho...yeah, that poke/seafood area at the back of that kta is nutz. and no forget the holy's apple pies...

if you know what i'm talking about...